Dr. Brueggen has placed hundreds of mini dental implants. When used to help keep a lower denture in place they have proven themselves to be dependable and durable. This is not the case with uppers and their use should be avoided in the upper arch.
When asked; what is the preferred solution. Regular dental implants or mini dental implants Dr. Brueggen responds: “Usually regular dental implants. Their size provides more strength and greater anchoring to the jaw and much more sophisticated attachments to secure the denture to the dental implant.””Additionally a mini dental implant should rarely in ever be used for any purpose other than to help hold a lower denture in place.” “Traditional dental implants offer many more restorative choices than mini dental implants”.
However, Dr. Brueggen says that every case must be evaluated on its’ own merits and mini dental implants are sometimes the treatment of choice.
Two examples would be:
1. Cost – some patients, especially elderly folks already wearing a lower denture, cannot afford the cost of traditional implants.
2. Health – some patients have health issues that make implant surgery too risky. Mini dental implants can be placed with only light local anesthesia and no incisions or stitches.
Mini dental implants can be placed quickly and since they require no incision or stitches they are ideal for certain cases. Additionally an existing denture can frequently be used further reducing time and cost and an equally exciting feature is that the denture can be secured by the mini dental implants the same day they are placed. A denture cannot usually be secured by regular dental implants for 4 to 6 months after they are placed.
Since no incision or surgery is required for mini dental implants, they offer an ideal dental treatment option to high risk groups, including:
1. Heart patients with a recent surgery
2. People with severe diabetes
3. Those who want their lower denture to be more firm
4. Those with a limited budget for other options
5. Those who are regular smokers
6. People with blood clot problems
7. Those getting bisphosphonate treatments or medicines for osteoporosis
Benefits of Mini Dental Implants
The benefits of mini dental implants can be stated as follows:
1. Easy Procedure
3. Great Functional Value
4. Affordable Price
Every patient wearing a lower denture owes it to themselves to at least have it secured by mini dental implants